Monday, April 26, 2010

Using Poetry to Teach Literary Tools

April is National Poetry month so it seems only right that it is a great time to study it! I believe, however, that anytime is a great time to study poetry. Poetry is rich in literary tools that good readers and good writers should use. For me, that means that the study of poetry is a great tool to use when educating my students about literary tools.

When I speak of literary tools I am referring to alliteration, imagery, rhyming, onomatopoeia, personification, and repetition to name a few. The use of these tools makes the reading more colorful and interesting to the reader.

The 7th grade students have studied poetry that utilizes varied literary tools. Below you will find examples of these poems including a definition of the literary tool they identified within each poem.

We hope that you enjoy our examples of literary tools and the great examples of poetry included in our blog.

37 comments:

  1. Repitition Home Work oh Homework
    Homework , oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    ‘cause life without homework
    would be a big bore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    ‘cause school without homework
    would be a big snore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I’d had more,
    ‘cause with my homework,
    I cover the floor.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    but when I sit down to do it,
    my tushy gets sore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    ‘cause if I don’t have it,
    you will hear me snore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more.
    My homework is missing,

    I’m going to get sore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more.
    Homework, oh homework,
    it’s my favorite chore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more.
    That’s why I scream as I
    run out the class door.
    By:Ashley Beck
    R.Manwarren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Title- Heavy Metel Fellow.
    Author- J. Patrick Lewis.
    Literary Tool- Rhyme.
    Define Tool- Repetition of sounds. More than twice.
    Give example- Armadillo, Fellow, Hollow, Amarillo, Follow, Hill-O, Wallow, Willow, Bellow, Mellow, & Hello.
    Poem-
    Milo Armadillo,
    Heavy metel Fellow,
    Lives beside a hollow
    West of Armadillo.

    Though he'll seldom follow
    Fellow's up a hill-o,
    Milo likes to wallow,
    Underneath a willow.

    If you holler, "HELLO,
    MILO ARMADILLO!"
    Don't expect a bellow-
    Milo's rather mellow.

    A. Tonderum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Title:Falling Up
    Author:Shel Silverstein
    The author used the tool of repetition in the poem Falling Up. Repetition is when a word is repeated more than twice. His example of repetition is using "UP" five times.

    I tripped on my shoelace
    And I fell up-
    Up to the roof tops,
    Up over the town,
    Up past the tree tops,
    Up over the mountains,
    Up where the colors
    Blend into sound
    But it got dizzy
    When I looked around,
    I got sick to my stomach
    And I threw down
    C.Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat Got Your Tongue
    by:Adele Tolly Wilson
    This poem shows an idiom. An idiom is a phrase or expression that means something different from what the word actually means. The part in this poem that shows it is, "Has the cat got your tongue?"
    I was feeling shy when my uncle came.
    "Has the cat got you tongue?" he said.
    He must've meant, "Why aren't you talking?"
    Because my tongue was still in my head.
    L. Flaharty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Title: I ate a ton of suger
    By: Alice Gilbert
    This poems uses Figurative language. And thats when the word means more than what it is.
    Example: I ate a ton of sugar

    I ate a ton of sugar.
    It made me very sweet
    It also made me very round
    now I cant find my feet.

    M. Girres

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Prayer
    The author is Bruse Lansky.
    The literary tool used is rhyme.
    It rhymes at the end of every sentence.
    Some examples are keys and tease.
    The poem:
    I pray my father finds his keys.
    I pray my sister doesn't tease.
    I pray that baby has no rash.
    But most of all, I pray for cash.

    B.Rouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Title- Homework Oh, Homework
    Author-Ashley Beck
    Literary Tool-Repitition
    Define Tool- Repetition of sounds. More than twice.
    Give example-Homework Oh,Homework
    Poem-


    Homework , oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    ‘cause life without homework
    would be a big bore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    ‘cause school without homework
    would be a big snore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I’d had more,
    ‘cause with my homework,
    I cover the floor.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    but when I sit down to do it,
    my tushy gets sore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more,
    ‘cause if I don’t have it,
    you will hear me snore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more.
    My homework is missing,

    I’m going to get sore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more.
    Homework, oh homework,
    it’s my favorite chore.

    Homework, oh homework,
    I wish I had more.
    That’s why I scream as I
    run out the class door.

    R.Manwarren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Garage Sale
    By:Linda Knaus

    Idiom- An idiom is a manner of speaking that is peculiar grammatically, but natural to the native speakers of the language. It cannot be taken litterally. For example in this poem the idom is, "Those bargain prices drive folks nuts."

    Most every summer Mom works hard,
    begining right at dawn,
    by putting things she doesnt want
    for sale out on the lawn

    Those bargain prices drive folks nuts.
    This year they went too far.
    One lady bought our front porch steps
    Another bought our car

    And then it got ridiculous
    So thats when I got mad
    "Hey, lady! somethings aren't for sale-
    now please put down my dad!"

    H.VonEhwegen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Title:Peter,Peter,Sugar Eater
    Author:Bruce Lansky
    The author used the tool of rhyming in the poem Sugar,Sugar,Punkin Eater. Rhyming is the repetition of similar sounds. One of his examples of rhyming is "blunder and wonder."

    Peter,Peter,Punkin Eater.
    Always wanted food much sweater,
    Adding sugar was a blunder,
    Now he is a toothless wonder.

    C.Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Title: Scale
    By: Shel Siverstein
    This poem uses Rhyming. And that is a repetion of a sound.
    Example: Rail, Scale

    If I could only see
    the scale.Im sure that it would state that i've lost ounces... maybe pounds.
    Or even tons of weight.
    You'd better eat some pancakes
    You're skinny as a rail. Im
    sure thats what the scale would say...
    If I could see the scale.

    M. Girres

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the Zoo
    By: Willium Makeplace Thackery
    Alliteration
    Alliteration is the repetition of an initial sound. The parts in this poem that represent an alliteration is, "Then I saw the wombat waddle in the straw, and with mutton in his maw."

    First I saw the white bear,
    Then I saw the black;
    Then I saw the camel
    With a hump upon his back;
    Then I saw the grey wolf,
    With mutton on his maw;
    Then I saw a wombat
    Waddle in the straw;
    Then I saw the elephant
    A-waving of his trunk;
    Then I saw the monkeys-
    Mercy, how unpleasently they-
    Smelt!
    L. Flaharty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girls
    The author is Marinela Reka.
    The literary tool is in this poem is alliteration. Alliteration means the repeat of the beginning of every word. An example in this poem would be: Gorgeous girls gathered. The poem:
    Gorgeous girls gathered
    Gossiping while giggling gladly
    Geared up for going out greatly
    Great nights gradually getting gelid
    Glamorous girls giving guys grief.

    B.Rouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. The title of this poem is What to Wear Where.
    This poem was written by J. Patrick Lewis.
    The literary tool used in this poem is imagery.
    The defintion of imagery is: Representation through language of sense of ecpierence, the details that allow you to see, hear, taste, smell, & feel, what is being described.
    For example, the author said "we wore duck shoes, in slicker-suit rain." I can picture what duck shoes would look like, and happening during slicker- suit rain.

    When I was a boy,
    In Looziana,
    We wore blue jeans,
    and a read bandanna.

    Folks moved up
    to the state of Maine,
    We wore duck shoes,
    In slicker-suit rain.

    Folks moved down
    to the state of Texas
    we wore brand names,
    Like Lazy-X's.

    Now that we're living
    it up in Vermont,
    we wear pretty much,
    wahtever we want.

    A. Tonderum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Winter Night
    By Harry Behn
    The literary tool in this poem is rhyming. Rhyming is the repetition of ending sounds. This poem rhymes the 2nd and 3rd lines of each stanza.

    It is very dark
    But not late
    Not after eight

    The only light
    Comes from snow
    Beginning to show

    Bushes are first
    As flakes fall
    Then the top of a wall

    What used to be dark
    Is now a hill.
    It is very still

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Title" Sea Shell
    "Author" Amy Cowell
    The tool used in the poem I am using is alliteration. The deffinition of alliteration is the repetition of initial sounds. An example of alliteration is Sea Shell, Sea Shell.
    Poem
    Sea Shell, Sea Shell
    Sing me a song, O please!
    A song of ships and sailor men,
    And parrots, and tropical trees,

    Of island lost in the Spanish Main
    Which no man ever may again,
    Of fishes and corals under the waves,
    And sea horses stable in great green caves.

    Sea Shell, Sea Shell
    Sing of the things you know so well.

    W. Westergard

    ReplyDelete
  16. Title:Who's side are you on?
    By: Alan Katz
    It uses alliteration. And that is a repetition of initial sounds.
    Example: Blabbing, Crabbing

    The kids call me "tattletale"
    A blabbing
    Crabbing
    creature.
    And if they do it again...
    Im gonna tell the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nope
    Shel Silverstein
    Rhyme is the liteary tool
    When you rhyme two words have same ending sound.
    Example: I put a piece of cantaloupe underneath the microscope i saw a million strange things sleepin i saw a zillion weird things creepin i saw a some green things twisted and bent i wont eat cantaloupe again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The title of the poem is Gotta Go!
    The author of it is, Robert Pottle.
    The literary tool described in this poem is Repititon.
    Repition is the repeation of words.
    For example in this poem they keep repeating the phrase "Gotta Go, Gotta Go!"

    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    I'll ask the teacher first.
    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    I think i'm gonna burst.

    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    I'd better raise my hand.
    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    But maybe I should stand.

    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    My hand is raised up high!
    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    I hope my pants stay dry.

    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    I'm really in a bird.
    I gotta go! I gotta go!
    Uh- oh. Nevermind.

    A. Tonderum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. On Buying A Dog
    By:Edgar Klauber
    Rhyme
    Rhyme is the repetition of a sound. For example, the words, "I'll guarantee he'd never speak to you or me," rhyme.

    "I wish to buy a dog," she said,
    "A dog you're sure is quite well bred,
    In fact, I'd like some guarantee
    He's favored witha pedigree."
    "My charming friend," the pet man said,
    "I have a dog that's so well bred,
    if he could talk, I'll guarantee
    He'd never speak to you or me."
    L. Flaharty

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Courage That My Mother Had
    By:Edna St. Vincent Millay

    Symbol/Symbolism is the literary tool that is used in this poem. Symbol means, more than the actual word. For example, in this poem the part "The golden brooch my mother wore/ I have nothing I treasure more," is symbolism.

    The courage tha my mother had
    Went with her, and is with her still:
    Rock from New England quarried;
    now granite in a granite hill.

    The golden brooch my mother wore
    She left behind for me to wear;
    I have no thing I treasure more:
    Yet, it is something I could spare.

    Oh, insted she'd left to me
    The thing she took into the grave!-
    That courage like a rock, which she
    Has no more need of, and I have.

    H.Von Ehwegen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inside
    By:Rachel
    Repitition-Begins and ends in same words.

    Inside the oceon
    I see fish
    Inside the waves
    I hear a splash
    Inside the water
    I felt fish
    It seems so big
    As a whale
    It has to be
    But then i see
    -------------------------------------------------
    Cat got your tounge
    By:Adoe Wilson
    Idiom-phrases

    I was feeling shy
    When my uncle came
    that cat got your tongue, he said
    he must have ment why are you talking
    because my tongue is still in my head.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Peanut
    By:Silverstein
    Hyperbole-Exaggreation


    Small as a peanut,

    Big as a giant,

    We're all the same size

    When we turn out the light.

    Rich as a sultan,

    Poor as a mite,

    We're all worth the same

    When we turn out the light.


    A Carpentier

    ReplyDelete
  22. Title-Mary had a little pet.
    Author-Judith Natelli McLaughlin
    Tool-Hyperbole
    Define Tool-Extreme Exaggeration
    Give Example-She had a bear.
    Poem-Mary had a little pet.
    Its fur was black as night.
    It followed her to school one day,
    Which gave the kids a fright.
    It made the teachers shout and scream.
    It gave them such a scare.
    For Mary didn’t have a lamb—
    She had a grizzly bear.
    R.Manwarren

    ReplyDelete
  23. I pledge Alegiance by Timothy Tocher
    This poem uses repetition as a literary tool. Repetition is a word or grtoup of words repeating more than two times. This poem repeats "I pledge allegiance three times.

    I pledge allegiance to the floor
    the walls and ceiling, classroom door
    I pledge allegiance to my books
    to desks and papers, coatrack hooks
    I pledge allegiance to my bag,
    to Joni's pigtails - and the flag.
    E. Eldridge

    ReplyDelete
  24. Diddle diddle dumpling my son Scooter
    By:Gwen Mdnan
    Rhyme
    Rhyme- words that sound alike
    Keys chinese

    Diddle diddle dumpling my sone Scooter
    played around with my computer.
    He pressed the buttons and hit the keys
    Now it only prints chinese
    D. Akridge

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd Rather by Bruce Lansky
    This poem uses the literary tool of hyperbole. A hyperbole is extreme exaggeration for added affect.

    I'd rather dine on Brussel Sprouts
    or catch the chicken pox.
    I'd rather do most anything
    than clean the litter box

    E. Eldridge

    ReplyDelete
  26. Big Green Bananas
    The author is Allyshia Borrowman.
    The literary tool used in this poem is alliteration. Alliteration means the repeating of beginning sound. An example is bananas and bunches.
    The poem:
    Big green bananas hanging on a banana tree.
    Bananas ripen up for you and me.
    Bunches of bananas waiting for us.
    We pick them off, with help from Gus.

    B.Rouse

    ReplyDelete
  27. "My teacher took my ipod" by Kenn Nesbit. Rhyme is the literary tool used in this poem. Rhyme is the repititon of sound.

    My teacher took my ipod.
    She said they had a rule:
    I couldn't bring it into the classroom or even to school.
    She said she would return it;
    I'd have it back that day.
    But then she tried my headphones on and gave it a click on "Play."
    She looked a little startled, but after just a while, she made sure we were occupied and cracked a wicked smile.Her body started swaying. Her toes began to tap.
    She started grooving in her seat and rocking to the rap. My teacher said she changed her mind.
    She think it's now okay to bring my ipod into class. She takes it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Title-April Fool's Day
    Author-Kenn Nesbitt
    Rhyming-Repetition

    Mackenzie put a whoopie cushion
    on the teacher's chair.
    Makayla told the teacher
    that a bug was in her hair.

    Alyssa brought an apple
    with a purple gummy worm
    and gave it to her teacher
    just to see if she would squirm.

    Elijah left a piece of plastic
    dog doo on the floor,
    and Vincent put some plastic vomit
    in the teacher's drawer.

    Before you go and try them, though,
    there's something I should mention:
    The teacher wasn't fooling
    when she put us in detention>

    Title-What's the POINT?
    Author-Alan Katz
    Alliteration-Repetition of initial sounds.

    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pencil.
    I'm sharpening my pe....
    Anybody want a pointy eraser?

    Title-Remotely Busy
    Author-Alan Katz
    Onomatopoeia-Sounds words, words whose sound suggest their meaning.

    Click!
    Flip!
    Nick!
    Flip Flip!
    E!
    Flip Flip Flip Flip!
    TNT!
    Flip Flip!
    Show time
    Flip Flip!
    WE
    Flip
    Food Network
    Fricassee
    Flip
    Fuse
    Flip Flip Flip Flip
    Flip Flip Flip Flip
    Flip Flip
    Click
    Xbox

    N. Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  29. Here comes by Shel Silverstein it is a Repition. Repition is the repeating of sound.

    Here comes summer
    Here comes summer,
    Chirping robin, budding rose.
    Here comes summer,
    Here comes summer,
    gentle showers, summer cloths.
    Here comes summer,
    Here comes summer-
    whoosh-shiver-there it goes.

    C.Mortenson

    ReplyDelete
  30. Signals by Shel Sliverstein it is a repition. Repetition is the repeating of a sound.

    When the light is green you go
    When the light is red you stop
    But what do you do when
    the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

    C.Mortenson

    ReplyDelete
  31. Miracles
    By: Walt Whitman
    Repetition: Repetition means a word that is repeated more than once. For example " Or talk, Or sit, Or watch," are examples of repetition.

    Why, Who makes much of a miricle?
    As to me I know of nothing else but miracles,
    Whether I walk the streets of Manhattan,
    Or dart my sight over the roofs of houses towards the sky,
    Or wade with naked feet along the beach just in the edge of the water,
    Or stand under the trees in the woods,
    Or talk by day with any one I love...
    Or sit at a table at dinner with the rest,
    Or look at strangers opposite me riding in the car.
    Or watch honey-bees busy around the hive of a summer forenoon,
    Or animals feeding in the fields,
    Or birds. or the wonderfulness of the sundown, Or of the stars shining so quiet and bright,
    Or the exquisite delicate thin curve of the new moon in spring;
    Thhese with the rest, one and all, are to me miricles,
    The whole referring , yet each distinctand in its place.

    To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle,
    Every cubic inch of space is a miracle,
    Every square yard of the surface of the earth is spread with the same,
    Every foot of the interior swarms with the same.

    To me the sea is a continual miracle,
    The fishes that swim-the rocks-the motion of the waves-the ships with men in them,
    What stranger miricals are there?

    H.Von Ehwegen

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd rather
    Bruce Lansky
    Repetiton
    Repetition- Repeating of a word more than twice
    Its says I'd rather 9 times

    I'd rather wash the dishes.
    I'd rahter kiss a frog.
    I'd rather get an F in math,
    Or fun an ten- mile jog.

    I'd rather do my homework
    I'd rather mow the lawn.
    I'd rather take the garbage out.
    I'd rahter wake at dawn.

    I'd rather dine on brussel sprouts
    Or catch the chicken pox.
    I'd rather do most anything
    Than clean the litter box.
    ------------------------------------------------
    My dog chewed up my homework
    Bruce Lansky
    Exaggeration
    Exaggeration- Strech of the truth
    My dog chewed up my homework

    I'm glad to say my homewrok's done.
    I finished it last night.
    I've got it right here in this box.
    It's not a pretty sight.

    My dog chewed up my homework.
    He slobbered on it, too.
    So now my homework's ripped to shreds.
    And full of slimy goo.

    It isan't much to look at,
    But i brought it anyway.
    I'm going to dump it on your desk
    If I get and A.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Miracles
    By: Walt Whitman
    Repetition: Repetition means a word that is repeated more than once. For example " Or talk, Or sit, Or watch," are examples of repetition.

    Why, Who makes much of a miricle?
    As to me I know of nothing else but miracles,
    Whether I walk the streets of Manhattan,
    Or dart my sight over the roofs of houses towards the sky,
    Or wade with naked feet along the beach just in the edge of the water,
    Or stand under the trees in the woods,
    Or talk by day with any one I love...
    Or sit at a table at dinner with the rest,
    Or look at strangers opposite me riding in the car.
    Or watch honey-bees busy around the hive of a summer forenoon,
    Or animals feeding in the fields,
    Or birds. or the wonderfulness of the sundown, Or of the stars shining so quiet and bright,
    Or the exquisite delicate thin curve of the new moon in spring;
    Thhese with the rest, one and all, are to me miricles,
    The whole referring , yet each distinctand in its place.

    To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle,
    Every cubic inch of space is a miracle,
    Every square yard of the surface of the earth is spread with the same,
    Every foot of the interior swarms with the same.

    To me the sea is a continual miracle,
    The fishes that swim-the rocks-the motion of the waves-the ships with men in them,
    What stranger miricals are there?

    H.vonehwegen

    ReplyDelete
  34. My Mom is Like an Alarm Clock
    By: BCLUW Elementary 3rd Grade Student
    The tool I used for this poem was Onomatopoeia. The definition of this tool is the sound of words. The example of this is Beep.

    Poem

    My mom is like an alarm clock
    She wakes me up every morning
    She doesn't go Beep, Beep, Beep...
    Instead she yells, "If you dont come down in one minute, you'll be late for school!"
    W. Westergard

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Star
    By: Jane Taylor
    The tool I used in this poem was ryhme. The definition of this poem is the repition of sounds. An emample of this tool is Star, Are

    Poem

    Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
    How I wonder what you are!
    Up above the world so high,
    Like a diamond in the sky.

    As your bright and tiny spark,
    Lights the travelers in the dark-
    Though I know not waht you are,
    Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

    W. Westergard

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gardener
    Shel silverstein
    consanance
    consanance is the repitition of of the end consanant.
    We gave you a chance
    to water the plants. we didnt mean that way
    now zip up your pants.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The sack race
    Shel Silverstein
    repitition
    repition is the repeated use of a word.
    yes its time for the sack race.
    yes, im ready to go.
    yes, its my first sack race how did you know.
    how did you know....?

    ReplyDelete